Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Today I want to share something fairly short, but hopefully sweet.

For those of you who have ever dealt with a chronic illness, you know that it is a daily struggle. Every day it seems there is a new challenge to work through - a new ordeal that crops up that you have to learn how to manage in your own way in your own time. On top of this you have the normal daily grind to wrestle with. Its a struggle to wake up, to exercise, to smile when you are in pain.... It is difficult often times to keep yourself going enough to accomplish everything you want to accomplish that day. Anyone with chronic illness knows that its no party. All of us face challenges every day in life, but those who struggle with illness often feel like they are struggling with things that are MUCH too simple and it can be very frustrating. 

There is one thing that has probably helped keep me going more than anything else, and that is the little things. 

On the days that I pay attention to the little blessings in my life, the subtle beauties, the tender mercies, life is just better. If I wake up at night or can't sleep (a frequent enough occurrence to frustrate me even if I was naturally a patient person), I try to pay attention to the small things that make my life beautiful. Sometimes its as simple as stepping outside to view how amazing the natural world is. Sometimes its reflecting on how grateful I am for a hot shower, or its thinking back to the many times I have seen God's hand in my life. 

Its taken me a while to decide if I should post this. I want to share only the things that are most pertinent and important. But the more I have thought on how much this has helped me through the most difficult of days, I decided that maybe it was time to share. 

I truly believe that all of us are blessed in many ways that we don't notice. Its noticing the sunrise, or happening across a mini miracle that reminds that I am still living in a beautiful world. Its the little things that remind me that no matter how hard life is, I wouldn't want to miss it for anything. Even on the days that I am sick and stuck in bed, I am amazed by the beauty of the English language, or at how nice it is to have a comfortable bed. And just noticing those things makes it much easier for me to deal with the current trial I am  then dealing with. 

God loves us. He has given us SO much to make our lives glorious and colorful. And even with all the trials I have been through, and the many I know I will have to experience later, I wouldn't miss this life for the world. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment